Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Babies and the Animals

Karibu! So sorry for the delay in posting! We took a long weekend away from the project and went on safari for a few days! Much needed pictures later, but first an update from Majengo Clinic.

Roxy and I spent the last week in the labor and delivery building of the clinic, which sees on average one or two deliveries a day. The nurses and midwifes there are amazing, and they were so excited to teach us, it made for a really fun week.

My first ever delivery to watch was also the most dramatic one I saw. The mother had been in labor overnight and had just gone into the back room from the waiting area. This was her fourth baby and so they didn't expect any complications. Everything was going as smoothly as having a baby tends to go, but when the child was born he was an upsetting grey-blue color and was very limp. The nurses were spectacular in their response, and began by rubbing the little guy's back and slapping his feet. When that gained no response they injected him with glucose, ventilated him and continued to try to rouse him physically. It actually came to the point of holding the poor thing upside down and smacking his bottom. I was beginning to get extremely concerned because it felt like forever had gone by and still there was no response. Finally, just as everyone was about to give up hope he started to cry! Such a relief to see a nice pink baby instead of a blue one. The nurse resuscitating him looked to the sky and said "asante" which was quite a sweet moment as it means "thank you" in Kiswahili. When she was describing the delivery later for charting we asked the nurse if it was as dramatic a delivery for her as it had been for us, and I thought her answer was quite interesting. She wasn't concerned with their lack of technology or machines to use for the baby and said only that they do what they know works and this time they were successful. Honestly I believe those gals could give any western medical technology a run for its money. The baby is doing fine by the way, we saw him and his mom the next day for a 24 hour checkup and he continued to be pink and lively.

The strength of the women here completely fascinates me. They lay in pain for however many hours their baby decides in this little room with no privacy, no pain medications, and no support group around them. The only comforts are literally a thermos of warm water and a wool blanket. Pain medications are not offered during or after delivery either, except in the most extreme of cases. In my opinion any situation that involves birthing a child would be extreme, but there's just not enough to go around and so supplies are conserved. Once they have delivered the women get up off the table and walk themselves back to their little bed in the waiting area. They get up and walk. On their own. I think the clinic owns one wheelchair, and so they just pick themselves up and head outside. I wish I could comment on if there is much complaint, and I would be tempted to write that most don't vocalize their pain but my Swahili borders between non-existent and really terrible; suffice to say there's no Hollywood-style screaming and carrying on.

Ok now I'll post what everyone really wants to see. Animals!! Safari was unbelievable and I am so glad we had the opportunity to go to Lake Manyara, Serengeti and Ngorogoro Crater. Truly some of the most beautiful places I've seen on this earth. To be clear no fundraising money was spent on our little side adventure, and we still need your help to reach our goal of $6000. The really baller ladies of Majengo Clinic's labor and delivery would really appreciate a new BP cuff. You can donate here!

Now pics, I promise!
Baby lions:

 Grown-up lions:
 Giraffe:
 Me and Roxy and our tent:
 Grown up and baby lions together (so many lions!!). The cubs are such sassafrases. One turned around and "roared" at us. He sounded like a house cat. Not impressive, but very funny.
 My personal favorite. Never did get an awesome picture because I was too busy going "a cheetah a cheetah acheetahacheetah!" They are so rare this guy was a real treat. He even ran a bit for us. Gorgeous.
So that's all for now. This coming week we will be in the under five part of the clinic, so I'm sure lots of baby stories are to follow.
Kwaheri (later). M.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Margo!
    I read your blog and it's really great.

    My name is Tina and I was a volunteer in Moshi last year... I am doing my final thesis on the university about life in Region Kilimanjaro, who's capital city is Moshi.
    I really had no experience with the health system in Moshi, so I was wondering if you can tell me more about it. I need for my university, so you would really do me a great favour with this.

    My questions - What is the hospital you worked in like? What kind of people came there? Do they have to pay extra t be accepted? How does the system work? Are the hospitals sorted by religion? (like they are in Arusha?)...

    Thank you for your answers.

    Love from Slovenia, European Union
    Tina

    ReplyDelete